Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Master Bedroom Demol

While we are waiting for the effiency kansas program. I started the demo of the blue carpet in the master bedroom. I had my trusty sidekick helping with the demo.

Yes that is my son in his walker. This was a simple job so I will let the pictures do the talking.


Normally when you remove carpet you should cut it into long strips. It makes the removal easier. And the disposal or recycle of the carpet easier..... I didn't do that for this job.
After the carpet and the padding was removed you can see the subfloor. And my son looking at his reflection.

And a job complete, hopefully one day we will be able to put the floor back.

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Update, Update, Update!!!!

From: Peyton [mailto:p@*****.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:16 AM
To: Peyton
Subject: FW: 9-13-11 News from Governor's Office on Efficiency Kansas

Everyone,
From our understanding, $1.5 Million has been released back into the Efficiency Kansas system. From past experience, the average project dollar amount has been around $10,000. That means there could possibly be around 150 applications approved for projects. I have no way of knowing where all of you are on the waiting list (or if the waiting list is even that long), but I will let you know as soon as I find out. Keep your fingers crossed. Thank you.

Peyton
High Performance Homes, LLC

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

September so far...


So the end of summer is already approaching...
Amazing if you think of it. Time has a way of flying by. Just think of it, we purchased this house in the spring and since then we have done some amazing things so far.

To add to that list I have a few updates that need to be made.
1.Our table lamp turned sconce!
>Taking the idea from http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/chicago/how-to/diy-ikea-hack-turn-desk-lamps-into-wall-lamps-077428

We converted an old college lamp into a reading lamp over our bed in the current master bedroom. It turned out something like this:

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

And it begins...

So for those who have been keeping up with the blog, you know that we applied for the Kansas Energy Efficency program. You will also know that we had our energy audit, of which we did a complete fail and needed about 20,000 dollars worth of energy upgrades for the home.
Here's an article about it:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/17/kansas-launches-34m-energ_n_361145.html

So here we are today. It's been almost exactly 30 days since we submitted the bid for work to be completed to the State of Kansas. It's been almost 45 days since we had our audit. It's been almost 60 days since we've been approved for the Kansas Energy Efficency loan program. And it's been about 90 days since we first learned about the program.

And...we are starting to doubt the program will deliver on it's promises. About 30 days ago we learned that the program's money was pulled by the governor to fund subsidies on ethanol development. But we were assured that those who were already approved for the program would still be eligible for the money.

I'm disappointed but who knows it could be for the best?

So as an alternative for the loan program Phillip and I have developed a 5 year plan for the house.
1. Finish remodeling master by 2nd child
2. Complete modifications as per energy audit
a. Install insulation in attic, Replace back door and cracked windows- winter 2011
b. Paint the house- Spring 2012
c. Stop air leaks- Summer 2012
d. Replace Windows- Summer 2013
3. Cut down tree in front yard and southwest side of house - Summer 2013

We want to stay in this house till 2020 (9 years), so of course we will do more work then is listed here, but it's a good start.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Hidden Treasure

The Picture to the right isn't the best. But beneath that pile of random items. There is a ratty fabric covering the window bench seat. While I was at work Gloria started removing the fabric with the intent to replace it.









However Gloria quickly discovered that the dust created by this may be harmful for the baby so she stopped.  And called in reinforcements i.e. me. While Gloria and the baby vacated the house.  I went to town removing this stuff.







A few hours later .... (where were little brads placed along every edge spaced less than an inch apart) But I was stunned to find this beautiful hardwood bench!


Gloria and I plan on refinishing it when we refinish the floor. I am really excited. I wonder what else this old house has in store for us.