Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Cutting the Grass

Yes it is janurary and I cut my grass! Gotta love global Warming!

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Door Hardware Paint Removal

On one of my favorite websites they had a simple how to remove paint from hinges. After doing the baby dresser I quickly realized just how expensive these components are. This is a super easy way to remove the paint and most importantly I like it because it is way safer for my children in the house compared to using chemical strippers. The process is simple remove hardware, and cook over night in a crock pot full of a soapy water solution. Below is a video and also the link to the original article.


There was one step I was not able to do and that was use a beeswax polish. I just didn't know where to find it at here in town.

This Old House Link for How to Remove Paint Hinges


The hardest part was removing the paint in tight crevices. Even though I cooked the hardware for almost 24 hours! But the hardware did have multiple layers of paint and a lot of dirt.

One thing did break and that was a thing metal piece inside the door mechanism. So next time I want place every single part in. The door still works fine though. Also because old paint was removed, dirt cleaned off, and everything lubricated with graphite powder the door swing is silent now.

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Baby Dresser #2

We are in the final stages of preparing for child #2. Last summer while driving home from work I happen to see this old wooden dresser that was put out for trash. Well this winter we finally got to work refinishing it.

We reused the mistint paint from when we painted the column on the front porch (that reminds me I still need to build the second column).

Bringing the dresser home we filled in all the damaged areas with wood putty and then sanded using our random orbital palm sander. The sander we purchased was the cheap one from skilz for only $39. But trust me it is way better than trying to use either chemicals or *GASP* sanding by hand.  Just take your time and use mutliple different levels of grit sandpaper to get the nice finish.

The most expensive part was the hardware. We could have went cheaper but by know I just wanted to be done with the project. Video below hope you enjoy.