- The light bulbs are no good (unlikely)
- There is an open wire (very likely and more than likely where the connection to the fan is)
- I did the wiring wrong (possible)
- The light switch itself is bad.
I started with the first took a bulb out and shook it gently sounded okay. On to the second option. I really didn't want to take that fan down. It felt like it took 2 hours to put that fan up and there is no easy way to get to the wiring of the fan with out taking the fan down. So on to number 3. I searched the internet for the switch i was using. It is a hunter 4-speed fan control and light dimmer model number 27183. There were a few threads in forums of people using the same switch. And according to what I found my wiring was correct. So I pulled out my trusty multimeter to check for voltage. The wiring for the fan showed the correct voltage. The wiring for the light showed 0. Took me a while to figure out how to turn the thing on sadly. there is a on off switch and then there is the speed control for the fan and the dimmer for the light. So during some of the testing I had to keep looking at the fan it self to see if the blades were turning to make sure I had the switch actually on and the speed/dimmer at the right place. So I figured maybe the switch is bad. For the various position I checked the resistance for the switch. My multimeter and leads showed about 1.6 ohms before connecting to the switch. The fan at high speed showed about 1.8 ohms. The light in the fully on position showed an open circuit!!!
So I decided to swap out the hunter switch for two regular cooper light switches. Thankfully I installed a larger electrical box since I wanted future space. For what I don't know but i like being prepared. I redo the switches so now i have a switch for the light and a switch for the fan. Everything looks good. I turn the power on and hit the switch. The fan works. The lights don't. Thought maybe I didn't get a good connection was messing with the switch with the power still on and got a mild jolt. There is no doubt in my mind that power is going through the switch LOL. I finally look at the light again and it dawns on me. There is a pull chain for the light it self. I pull it and there was LIGHT!!!
I burst out singing TO GOD BE THE GLORY!!! And now I am going to bed